11/22/2015

I downloaded Marie Kondo's book.

Yes, I did. Though I had vowed NOT to read another organizing book. I've read quite a lot of them, and I even got rid of some of them this year because they turned out to be... clutter! They took up space in my bookshelf and caught dust. But after taking a virtual sneak peek into the book Friday afternoon, I thought, well, it seems to work for a lot of people, so I should at least take a look at it.

I downloaded "The Life-Changing Magic Of Tidying-Up" onto Schmidt (my Kindle), so even if I decide not to try Marie's method, I won't have another piece of clutter on my bookshelf. Ha. I could keep it in my cloud if I wanted to without ever having to look at it again.

I started reading Friday night, cuddled up in my bed. And guess what happened? I fell asleep after about two minutes. Seriously. I guess I was just too tired and my brain simply shut down. Luckily, Schatz (my significant other of a little more than 20 years now) was so nice to take Schmidt out of my hands before it crashed on the floor (once again).

Yesterday, we spent a very joyful and funny evening at some friends' place (which was very tidy btw, though they have three children), had a very tasty dinner and kept sitting at the table afterwards until about 11.30 p.m. A short time after coming home, I cuddled up again in my bed, Schmidt in hand, and gave Marie's book another try.

This time, I managed about 25 minutes, but that's only a guess. I fell asleep again, Schmidt still in hand... and I dreamed about decluttering my CD and DVD collection, although I hadn't read anything about silver discs so far! I saw myself going through them all, and in my dream I remember I was thinking about getting rid of the Gilmore Girls DVDs that I own (the first five or six seasons). It was one of my favorite TV shows when it aired, but I'm not sure I watched the DVDs in the past few years at all.

When I woke up this morning, I was completely stressed out though I hadn't done any tidying yet. In my dream, I had made so many decisions that I was still tired. Uff.

In the early evening, I started with the DVDs and CDs anyway. Without having read more during the day. I just felt I wanted to come to an end with that strenous dream. Guess what? Yes, I discarded the Gilmore Girls. Grey's Anatomy's first two seasons went with them, as did several others. In the end, I had a nice bag full of silver discs I'm sure I don't have use for any more. And to say it with Marie: No, they don't sparkle joy... at least not anymore.

So there's a new item on my to do list for tomorrow: Finding out what to do with all those discs... which will probably be more complicated than the sorting process.  

No comments:

Post a Comment