1/11/2016

The Day I (Almost) Saw David Bowie Live

In 1991, I spent my summer in Dublin, Ireland. In the mornings, we'd pretend to improve our language skills at a language school in Lower Leeson Street, and then we'd head into St. Stephen's Green or Grafton Street. In the evenings, we'd listen to the buskers for what seems like hours or we deepened our knowledge of the Irish culture in one of the countless pubs. That was the summer I learned to appreciate a nice cup of tea, good live music and a freshly tapped pint of Guinness.

It was also the summer I almost saw Bowie live in concert. During the later hours of an August afternoon, word spread that Bowie would play a surprise gig at O'Donoghue's that very same evening. Remember, this was 1991. The rare old times before everyone was online all day. Nobody had a cell phone, either. But nevertheless, the place was packed.

At some point, we came to the conclusion there wasn't a chance to get in. It started to rain, and we went to another pub instead.

I have no idea if Bowie really was there. Well, if he wasn't, everyone else was.

R.I.P.

No comments:

Post a Comment